Thursday, May 22, 2008

Discription of an "Emergency"

So, the other day I walked into my parents house and I found Angie's 2 boys sitting on the couch. Braydon, the oldest, was watching a movie very calmly but Kinnly was obviously very worried about something. He was sitting very still and was constantly looking around as though he was waiting for something to jump out and get him. Being a strange kid, I didn't take much head to the situation.
"Mommy said we can only wake up Aunt Faith if there was an Emergency" he said out of the blue to me. I acknowledged his coment but again didn't think much of it until the next question came to me from this troubled child. "Uncle Shayne, are you scared of Emergencies". I replied to him with a no and then he asked "how do you kill an Emergency".
This was getting very interesting to me so I decided to encourage a little more out of him.
"What do you think an Emergency is" I asked him.
I then go an answer that I would never forget.
"Well, they live in the mountains , and the have long nails and spiky hair, and green eyes, and really tall." By time he finished I had a picture in my mind of a child's worst nightmare.
I then got to thinking about some of the things that we randomly say on a daily bases to a normal adult, but we don't think about some of the things that a childs imagination can think up when they aren't sure about the meaning behind it, or the meaning of a word. We say, "only call for help if there is an emergency" but if a kid was to think that an emergency was a Monster, that would make perfect sense.

3 comments:

Colton said...

HAHA! That is hilarious! I honestly never considered that; I mean, you expect that some kids may not know what certain words mean, but you don't expect them to have completely WRONG ideas of words. I think I am going to name a pet "Emergency" some day...

Heitmann Family said...

Shayne you have the cutest family. My goodness Jordynn has beautiful blue eyes!! good luck with school and I am glad you are doing well. So glad we have blogs to keep in touch!! Love ya cuz- Aimee

Matt and Liz said...

SHAYNE!!! Holy crap i haven't seen or heard from you in forever! Glad to hear you are doing good! And whats the deal with adding me to your blog and then not even telling me you have one?! Oh well, I found it anyways! And yeah, its crazy what kids say! My two year old is really talking good now, and out of the blue he says some hilarious stuff, it is so fun watching them learn words and saying them for the first time. His new word is "goodness". it is the funniest thing to hear his voice say it, the funny thing is he isnt 100% sure when to use it, so he sometimes says it at times when it doesnt really apply! Oh yeah, then there is the S*** word! He only said it once, and personally i thought it was hilarious! Uncle Jeremy must have been around that day! Anyways, kids are great, i have #3 in the oven, they definitely make life worth all the struggles! Well, keep in touch, next time I am up in Eagar we will need to do some fishing. We also need to get together during the rut, I have been making elk videos for a number of years now (my only option as the game and fish clearly have something against giving me a tag) and i love filming the rut. Anyways, keep in touch, nice to hear from you! (does reading a blog qualify as "hearing" from some one?!)